Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Tired of YouTube Mid-Video Ads?

 


Okay ... I've had it with ads that play in the middle of YouTube videos. They always interrupt the flow, happen at the stupidest times, and waste my time. So abrupt is the interruption that I almost never pay attention to the ad, or I get so angry I don't want to buy that product.

I don't mind so much the ads that play at the beginning or at the end, and I don't mind the little banners that show up every now and then -- I'm talking about the annoying mid-video ads that we all hate.

There are a whole lot more now because: #1) a couple of months ago, YouTube changed the minimum requirements for mid-video ads from 10 minutes down to 8 minutes; and #2) YouTube decided to default all monetized 8-10 minute videos to playing mid-video ads.

This means a lot more money for YouTube and for the video creators as well, but it makes life annoying for us. But guess what ... we can do something about it. At least I'm trying this new tactic, and I invite you to join with me.

Did you know that the video creators have full control over whether or not ads play in the middle? They can even nudge the ads to play at a specific points of the video, but judging from experience, I think most creators just take the default YouTube gives them (which seems to be twice per video at around 33% and 67%).

And what do video creators love more than anything? Likes and Subscribes. Do you see where I'm going with this? 

That's right. We make it so that the creators won't want to give us mid-video ads. It's simple. Give the video a Dislike. If you feel up to it, Unsubscribe (remember that you can still see their videos). And most importantly, leave a comment -- something like: "I gave this video a Dislike because of the mid-video ads. Oh, and I Unsubcribed, too."

If enough of us do this, one of two things will happen: #1) the creators will go to each of their videos and turn off mid-video ads (for fear of losing their audience), OR #2) the creators will complain to YouTube for defaulting so many of their videos to play mid-video ads.

Who's with me? Let's take back YouTube!

No comments: